missouritrappersonline

Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
Welcome to missouritrappersonline Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The very best Bobcat set and bait/lure
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:12 am 

In your opinion what is the best set for catching cats, and the best bait or lure to use. If you could get pics that would be great as well.

Show your dogs on the tree, not the bench.

Post subject: Re: The very best Bobcat set and bait/lure
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:35 pm 

Well I don't have any pic's but i'm sure Cletis will post some. But you have to keep in mind the BEST set is the one you gain confidence in sound's a little cliche' but it's true. Now with that said my favorite is the dirthole with plenty of eye appeal a feather hanging behind it, a couple feet off the ground big backing and plenty of guiding. I personally don't use bait I just use lure and urine there again there is no best just what work's for you. I use ALOT of Lenon's Bobcat Super All Call that is one of my top producer's on everything in general i've caught red fox, grey fox, coyote's, coon's, skunk's even the elusive marsupial :shock: :lol: and of course Bobcat's on this lure usually combined with red fox urine. My other favorite lure is a secret and cannot be bought :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen: . Also I get all of my urine from Bob Jameson I think his are high quality at least in my experience they have been.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:17 pm 

Remember the higher the backing the farther the animal will stay back from the set, also a light to mild skunk odor will help in the early season and a little bit heavier as it gets colder. Yes eye appeal is your best bet as they do not rely as much as a k-9 does on scent. No matter if you use bait or not make sure if you are using a carcass set that you cover the carcass with brush to keep birds of prey from seeing the bait and out of the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:40 pm 

Ok

Sounds good. This will my first year of trapping for Fur. I have trapped plenty of coon live for dog traning purposes, and property damage reasons, but never anything else. I'll see what I can come up with, and maybe someone can post some pics.

What kind of feather do you guys use. I raise Royal Palm Turkey's, and have an endless supply of big white/black wing and tail feathers.

Would those work?
Also what do you tie them to the tree with and how high should they be off of the ground.

I have an Ideal spot already thought of I think. I have a large grown up feild approx. 30 acres, that has Hardwoods on the South and West sides, a cedar thicket on the North side, and a Creek on the East side. Between the Cedars and the Feild is some Shorter grass, and behind that in one spot there is a very large and tall patch of briars, with a little notch in them that runs in about 4 to 6 feet and is about 2 feet wide. There is a small maple sapling growing at the end of the notch. Sounds like the perfect place for a set, if I'm understanding you description right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:50 pm 

Sound's like you definetly have the location part down. The turkey feather's you have are perfect I like to use 1 wing feather attached to fishing line below a barrel swivel so it can spin freely with about a 1 ounce sinker above the swivel to keep it from blowing up around the limb. I usually hang my feather about 3 ft. off the ground and a couple ft. behind the set. You're not that far from me if worse come's to worse I can come down and give you a little tutoring session.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:36 am 

Thanks Troy.

Where are you located? You gonna be at the clinic this weekend, if so I'll look you up if I can make it. I won't be able to stay long, but I'm gonna try to be there for a couple of hours or so. Send me your cell number and I'll call you if I make it over.

A buddy of mine (Keith Bell) has trapped for a couple of years or so, so maybe between him and I we can get it figured out. He has a big bobcat we seen while going hunting the other night he is going after.

When do the hides get good and prime? I never really worried about it with the dog caught coon I usually sale green anyway, but I figure this year I might as well get the most return for my efforts. I plan on waiting until after Deer season to really start trapping hard.

I'll probabbly start with the muskrats and beavers, with a few land sets for cats, fox, and yotes. Then move more towards more land sets the farther into the winter it gets. I hate ice LOL. Being a coon hunter I'm not going to put out many sets for them, but I do have a few spots that I've been looking at where I won't turn a dog loose.

I can't wait for season to get here. Heck I caught a possum last night by the chicken house.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:48 am 

I won't be at the clinic my boy play's football on saturday's if I get bored though I may run down on sunday. I live at Hillsboro here's my home and cell number's 314-630-6548 or 636-285-0422 you can call and just talk trapping or dog's I know a little about both but not a lot about anything LOL!

As far as prime goes most of your adult boar coon's will be ready the first day of season your harry sow's and kitten's take longer. The beaver, muskrat's and bobcat's are the last to prime up with cat's taking the longest they don't really start getting good until end of December early January season is over when they get their best but that's a hornet's nest we won't swat LOL. Your beaver and rat's somebody please correct me if i'm wrong are probably best end of Jan and early Feb.

Fox and coyote's are probably best from about the second week of Dec. to the first week in Jan. Of course i'm talking about these being at their absolute best. Some will be good earlier and some later but as a rule of thumb these are pretty good outline's.

I hope some of this help's you should have some grey fox down there once you get started catching those and them spotted bellied cat's you'll start trapping a few more of your hunting spot's LOL!!!

Is Keith from Park Hill's I think I sold him some trap's one time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14 am 

Yep

He lives around Liberty Ville now. We have been hunting togather for a while now.

I'm really just looking to help out some of my neighbors with rat and beaver problems, and get rid of some of these dern yote's. I caught 4 red fox this past spring off of my chicken house. I don't guess I've ever seen a gray fox around. I know where I can catch a pile of them chicken theiving suckers though. I will usually see at least 2 or 3 on my way in from hunting early in the morning in a certain area. Getting pretty good at catching possums to. I bet you if I'ev cought 2 I've caught 30 this year, and that is just out of my yard.

I'll give you a call sometime.